Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Blah Blah Blog1

This previous summer I had a very hard time deciding what to make of myself. I was currently a business major who was about to make a big step into the program. However, I just wasn't happy...or interested for that matter. Business bored me and I was really wondering if it was the right path for me to take. I can still remember applying to FSU while frantically asking my mom what major I should declare. I had no idea. But without a beat she stated, "You would be an amazing teacher." Of course the first thought that ran through my head was "Heckkkkk no...they are so under paid and you couldn't catch me dead, wasting away thousands upon thousands just to be a plain old teacher to struggle through life just to pay the bills!" Two years of college made maturity sink in as I realized my talents and assets as an individual and came to the conclusion that no other field fit me better than education. When it comes down to it...I refuse to be that plain teacher. The ARCS model is perfect in regards to fulfilling this goal in my life. It is basically a model of motivation that maps out ways to really make an impact on a child's life. It includes Attention, Relevance, Challenge/Confidence, and Satisfaction/Success. John M. Keller basically states that without these key components to learning education will continue to fall under the trap of only performing to pass tests. Schools use technology and computers to organize their work and aid in the process of planning. Without computers and technology we wouldn't be able to get as far in providing up to date information to our students on an efficient time scale. Even though technology equipment for classrooms can rack up finances and raise budgets, there is a nonprofit group that helps in promoting the use of technology to improve the learning environment called The ISTE National Education Technology Standards.

I feel as if I am becoming more familiar with how to do specific little things on programs like Microsoft Word. This could definitely help me in the near future in improving my lesson plans and helping me get things done fast so that I have plenty of time to organize in all areas. The ARCS model also introduced other key areas to focus on besides just motivation alone and I feel like it will be something that I will follow when I begin teaching.

I really didn't have an interesting weekend at all. But one thing I would like to comment on is that procrastination is not a very good friend. I admit that I did this assignment at the very last minute. Not cool. If anything...stay organized with your schoolwork at this chaotic time in your life and break bad habits so that they don't follow you in your career. Go Noles!

No comments: